Thursday, April 5, 2007

Colors of My Yard


light and dark pink azaleas, originally uploaded by msbellee.


The azaleas beneath our kitchen window have popped and are in full bloom. They are so gorgeous. Nothing catches the eye like azaleas in springtime. I'm partial to pinks and purples and these azaleas make me smile when I look out the window and see their beauty. Spring is a wonderful time of year.

I don't have many nice plants in my yard anymore since the fire ants took over, but what remains is pretty darn hardy. If I can't kill it, it can survive anything. We've been in a drought for a several years now. I don't care what anybody says. There are cracks in my lawn at least 1/2 inch wide and grass doesn't like to grow. Got lots of clover and dandelions. At least they're pretty.

We go without rain for weeks sometimes and not much can survive that and the Charlotte heat and humidity. I won't use the hose to water either...not worth the high water bill we end up with. If it won't grow by itself, I ain't growin' it. If it does grow in my yard, then it's either native or I just got lucky.

I tried to plant things where they were supposed to go and pick perennials and annuals that belonged in my own zone. The people who lived in this house before us put the azaleas right up next to the street in full sun and had planted things that didn't belong in this zone. The azaleas didn't like where they were, so I moved them to part shade on the north side of the house. They're so much happier now and thriving despite my lack of pruning after the blooming season.

Here are some of what still survives despite my neglect.


My last surviving phlox. It's been in a pot for about 6 years.


varigated vinca
Varigated vinca. Good to brighten up shady spots.



I was at my mother's this past week and spring was out all over up there, too. However, since they are a different zone (zone 6 I believe) they are a little behind us. It was like reliving it all over again.


One of mom's 40+ year old forsythia bushes.



She has the prettiest tiny little purple weeds too.


I have no idea what the flowers in the last photo are. They are weeds apparently. Whatever they are the bees just love them and they are everywhere in her yard. When I was a kid I used to pick these little tiny purple flowers and bite the very ends off them. It's very sweet. I can see why the bees like them. If they're not toxic I bet they would be great in a salad. So colorful and plentiful and sweet!

Also growing wild in my mom's yard are strawberries, but anymore they are too small and bitter to do anything with. When I was growing up we used to pick wild strawberries growing in the yard and in the field above her house. We got buckets of them. The largest ones were maybe the size of a quarter and were sweet and juicy. Most were smaller, maybe the size of a nickel or dime. They were so good. Now you can't hardly find those kind of strawberries growing wild anymore. I miss those days.

Here is what grows in my yard but it's not even as big as a pea and it's hard and bitter.

wild strawberry


Here in Charlotte I also have blueberry bushes that produce some fruit, but not much. The bushes have been in the ground for about 10 years and the birds always get the fruit. That's fine with me. At least somebody gets to enjoy it. Very tasty little blueberries grow on them, but I wish they did better here. The mountains is where they do best. These, too, are surrounded by fire ants so I don't usually go near them anymore.

***


I miss the mountains. Only been gone one day and I miss it already. I miss it a lot. Always do.

I took a picture of the rain coming from over the next hill.

rain coming

Kevin and I played outside while we were there despite the rain. He wanted to play hide and seek ( he always hides in the same places!). I snapped this picture.

Hide and seek

It started sprinkling rain but we were prepared.

Kevin in the sprinkling rain

The next day the mowers came to mow Granny's yard. It's always an exciting time when that happens. Both my boys sit on the back of the couch in front of the picture window to see what's going on outside.

My two boys

The world outside

Funny, I used to sit there and do the same thing when I was a kid. It's just a good place to be in Granny's house.

Until next time....

3 comments:

CandidConfessions said...

Wow!! I love your enthusiasm for life and all that comes good out of it :)
Great going!!

msbelle said...

Wow, thank you! I always thought of myself as a cynic! LOL!

Anonymous said...

Howdy Ginger,
It's always nice to meet someone with ties to Ashe County.

Some more sites that might interest you: http://www.ncblogs.com
http://www.ohmycharlotte.com/
and in Boone:
http://blueridgeblog.blogs.com/blue_ridge_blog/

Marie is a photographer for the newspaper in Boone and spends her days all over those hills