Sunday, August 26, 2007

Fiction Plane

This has absolutely nothing to do with parenting or jewelry or Etsy or anything. But I thought I'd share since I really liked it.

I found this group on You Tube. I looked at the singer's face. And when I heard the voice and saw the face I was totally amazed.

(Sorry about this broken link. I cannot get it to work. You can go to YouTube.com and search for "Fiction Plane" to see the "Two Sisters" video.)




I was astonished when I heard this group. They're called 'Fiction Plane'. The minute I heard them I was taken back to my days in college working at the record store on the strip in Knoxville. When I watched the video and heard them play, it was as if I was listening to the early days of the 'Police'. And now I know why. The lead singer/songwriter/guitarist/bass player is none other than Sting's son, Joe Sumner. Isn't it weird hearing them and not seeing Sting and the Police? But you can still almost see Sting when you look at his son. The resemblence is just uncanny. The voice and style of playing is even more uncanny. The apple certainly didn't fall far from the tree with this young man. And now I'm feeling sooooooooooo old! Sting's son in a band, and I liked it!

So what did you think? Do you like it? I just might have to go buy a new CD as a result of seeing and hearing this. It's been a while since I listened to anything but bluegrass and kid friendly stuff, but this was worth a second listen (and look, IMO). In college I used to listen to the Talking Heads, the Clash, the Police, Todd Rundgren, Steely Dan, etc., early 80's music (no disco though), and this took me back to that time when the Police was still young. I liked these guys a lot.

I wonder what Sting thinks of his son's music. I bet he hears and sees himself in his son. It's kinda cool how genes are passed on, isn't it? Wish I had those kinds of genes (and money) to pass on to my child, don't you?!

Well, that's all. I hope you have a good Sunday and a great week.

Later....

7 comments:

pomomama said...

Cool! Thanks for sharing (must work out how to embed videos on my blog posts too!).
I've been constantly amazed at how muc we "pass down" genetically to our offspring. When my wee guy was a baby I would look down at him and see my sister or my mother smiling up at me. I've seen my sister-in-law smiling at me too and even spotted a few of my Dad's mannersims coming back at me! No one warns you about this when you contemplate parenthood!

Unknown said...

I am a HUGE Police fan!
I used to have all of their lp's!
I even have p.j.'s like Sting from his "Wrapped Around Your Finger".
I light all the candles I own and float around the house singing with my floaty Sting pajama's.

As an aside, I felt the same with Bob Dylan's son, from the Wallflowers.

Steph said...

Also a big Police fan (and the Clash) Yes, he definitely sounds a lot like his Dad. I can't wait to share this with my husband - he is the music person in our family - I am so excited to have a band to show him that I am certain he has not heard of. He will be shocked!
Thanks for sharing this!

Brandi Hussey said...

Thanks for applying to the Indiepublic Blog Ring! Welcome!

SilverMonk said...

Mr.Silvermonk is the rock music mad in the house. He thinks Its really cool.

Kylie said...

Wow!!! It's hard to believe Sting's son is old enough to be doing this (makes me feel a touch ancient :P) I can definitely see and hear Sting though...Junior certainly has some big shoes to fill.

AnnieRoso said...

Good to know someone's gonna carry on Sting's good work! I'm a big fan (saw him in concert, even). Thanks for sharing -- I wonder if I can find them on iTunes...