Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Cool Sunsets and Cameras

jack-o-lantern face in the sunset

I had to share this pic with everyone. Can you see the face of a jack-o-lantern here? We've had some awesome sunsets recently (I love sunsets). This face appeared in one of them! I thought it was so cool being that Halloween is coming soon. The picture was also nominated for Pic of the Week the Charlotte Photographers pool on Flickr. I was quite honored and tickled to be nominated. That's a first for me! It's a fun and unique pic and it was an awesome sunset! Here's another sunset we had:


sunset

sunset




I also wanted to let everyone know that even though we are better regarding our sickness, Kevin and I are still battling it. His is now more allergies than a virus. His drip, drip, drip from his nose is still unceasing which leads to continual coughing. Poor baby. I haven't heard his actual voice since around the middle of September. He sounds like he has a constant cold with a stuffy head, which he does sort of. He's handling it well though. However, beginning this past week he coughs so much that it makes him throw up. Then he cries that he's throwing up and the nose gets even stuffier. Then while he's sleeping I can hear his raspy upper chest. I just wish we could get some real rain or a good hard frost to get rid of whatever is in this air. It's a killer.







Kevin loves to have his face painted. As a precursor to Halloween he wanted to have his face painted. So daddy did the painting and this is how it turned out:

kevin's face paint







I'm trying to make the best of my old Olympus Camedia 3020 until I can get a new camera. It's not that mine is a bad camera. I have absolutely loved it since getting it about 5 years ago. It's easy to use and I love the pictures it has given me over the years. But the dying sensors issue is now becoming a problem. On the other hand, I am just now really learning how use it to take pics of my jewelry! I've learned that going into digital zoom mode is a no-no and to stick with the optical zoom only or I get too much noise in the pics. I can shoot about 10cm away from my subject which is pretty good for this camera. I think my jewelry pics are getting a little better. I still have to play around until I get the shot I want as we all do, I'm sure. The only problem is that they usually turn out 'soft' and I always, always have to use contrast and brightness in an editing program, not to mention cloning out the hot pink and green pixels that result from the dying sensors. They seem to be multiplying rapidly now, sort of like a virus inside the camera!

Here's the camera I've dedided I can afford and want to give a try. I think it might be a good all around camera that might take good pics of jewelry too. I tried it out in the store the other day and was pretty impressed with its macro capabilities which is what I want for jewelry pics. What camera do you all use and how do you like it? If you could get a new camera, what would you get and why?

So with all that in mind I've been busy experimenting with the camera I already own on the things I have been making for my shop. I have two upcoming showcases and wanted to get some new things ready for them. I found some really neat background papers I'm experimenting with. I've also been trying to give new life to some old things that have been sitting around my shop for months unsold. Perhaps this will do the trick until I can get that camera.
pink turquoise and oxidized sterling
indigo/black coin pearls in goldfill




I'm also having a sale in my shop. (This sale isn't associated with the EtsyBead sale, though they are having one also.) I just decided to try to move some things out since they have been there so long. Lowered the price 20% on some items! So if you need some upcoming holiday gifts, check out the Sale section. There will be more things added from now until the holidays!

That's all for now! It's been a while since I posted. Wanted to catch everyone up and say hello.
I hope all is well with everyone and that your week is a splendid one!
Until next time....




4 comments:

pomomama said...

howdy and good to see you blogging again (and with such cool pics). Hope you and Kevin feel much better really soon.
Cameras - i'm using a 5 year old Sony something or other. It's working pretty well on macro and I've just found out how to set the white balance etc to improve my pics "in camera" so we'll see how much of a difference it all makes.

Your photos are always excellent but yes, I can see a yearning for new camera .......

CarolinaDreamz said...

OHH I'm so glad that you posted this. I really want to buy a new camera and I'm completely lost as to what to buy. I thought I'd use my digital forever, and well, its a Sony that writes to floppy and my laptop doesn't even have a floppy drive, so I never use it anymore.

I'm so excited to actually see a model that you love..

~Heidi

abowlofbeads said...

Hi there, glad to see you up and about and I hope you both recover soon. I must say that as hard as Kevin tries to look like a ?vampire, it's not working, that face is way too angelic :) Love your peacock coin pearls. Gorgeous!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.