Thursday, April 26, 2007

"Sick as a Dog"

Why do they say that when one is feeling really sick? I don't understand because my dog doesn't even get sick, and when he does it's usually because he's eaten something he shouldn't have. If he gets really sick then I KNOW something's bad wrong because dogs just don't get that sick.

Dogs don't get colds and they don't get the flu. Some have allergies and they do get diseases, but most are pretty healthy. Barney sneezes occasionally and he eats grass (he grazes like a horse) which makes him gag, but he doesn't get really sick (knock on wood). At least that's been my experience with dogs for the past 23 years. So why do they say "sick as a dog" when dogs are pretty healthy overall?

Well, I've been sick as a dog for the past 3 days. Can't breathe; nose is completely stopped up but it still runs (how does that happen?). I broke down today and used my Vick's Sinex spray. It gives relief for a fleeting hour or so and then you become dependent on it to breathe! I carry around my box of Puffs with Aloe waiting for the inevitable sneeze and blow. I have the classic cold. Sneezing, coughing, congested, runny, clogged up, generally feel like I've been hit by a truck. Taking NyQuil day and night along with additional nasal decongestant. Nothing's working. I would make a good drug commercial. I wish I could go to sleep and wake up all better, but I can't sleep because I can't breathe. Oh well, this too shall pass.

Poor Kevin told me today, "Mommy, you look awful. But I still love you." I said, "Thank you Kevin. I appreciate that!" He made me laugh the way he said it. I looked in the mirror and he's right! I look awful. Nose all red, head three times its normal size (at least that's how it appears to me), eyes bloodshot. Barney doesn't notice it though. At least he hasn't said anything. (He's such a good dog that way.)


***


And while I've been puny I discovered that I was included in two treasury lists this week! Woohoo! That makes me feel better.

The first was a Mother's Day list by madefromtheheart. It included items from Etsy sellers who are participating in a Mother's Day promo put on by Etsy seller Lucid Dreams. She is offering handmade Mother's Day cards with gift certificates included in them redeemable at participating Etsy shops. I am one of the shops participating in the promo. I hope she does well in her promotion. She worked so hard getting it all together.

Thank you Lucid Dreams for doing such a wonderful job on the promo. And thank you madefromtheheart for including me in your list.

Mother's Day goodies

The second list is by the sweet and talented Liz of made in lowell fame. She created a beautiful list as well. Thank you for including me in your list, Liz!! I truly appreciate it.

'Friends' list

So while being sick as a dog, these two things lifted my spirits! Thanks. I needed that!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the treasuries.

I hope you start feeling better soon. {{hugs}}

(aside: I can't believe you're keeping up with your blog. When I'm sick, all I can do is sit on the couch and whine (heh).)

Maheswari Rani said...

Hey G! Gosh, it must be so uncomfortable, but like you said, it will pass. it's just one of those things. You should get more rest though.

I am so happy you've been featured in those lists. It's always an indescribably lovely feeling to know that people think your work is special! I think it is!

Well, do rest....that's the best cure for a bout of flu! And stay away from your computer!

I enjoyed your take on the concept of being "Sick as a Dog". Life doesn't always make sense anyway. Also, I think the concept of the blocked yet runny nose is something like blood valves: deoxygenated blood can only flow one way, back to the heart; not the other way).

Yeah ok, so i can hear you screaming, "Oh GOD Rani!!!".

Before I do more damage, bye! :-D

Candace said...

I'm happy there was a bright side to your day...being sick just sucks!Congrats on the featured listing!

Unknown said...

What classy lists!

Of course for such a classy lady!
(well at least your jewelry is,
HeeHee!)

Feel better soon!